Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Another Productive Weekend

We've been getting stuff started around here. And someday we'll finish those things that we've started. Here's a sneak peak at a few projects that will eventually be shown in more detail.


1. Play structure built from scrap lumber.
2. Brick transition from driveway to gravel path in the backyard.
3. It's a baby bell pepper!
4. Sideyard lawn smothering project.
5. Pile-o-potatos? Nope. Rocks from digging in the front yard.
6. Another new front garden/lawn smothering project.

Why have we been so productive this year compared to last year? I think it all comes down to two things:

1. We have a three year old instead of a two year old. We just let the dog babysit her now. She's even allowed to pee in the back yard.

And 2. There really isn't a wrong way to do yard projects, so it's easy to make decisions and move forward. Last year we were working on the back hall, and we were very conscientious about not wanting to mess it up (imagine the word mess to start with the letter "f" and end with the last three letters of the word luck). We really, really didn't want to, ahem, mess it up.





12 comments:

  1. Ahh, you're now my parenting model. The big about the dog babysitter/yard peeing made me snort. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have exaggerated about the dog :) Not the yard peeing, though. Why run for the house when there's some perfectly good grass to sit in?

      Delete
  2. It's funny reading your blog and looking at these pictures because it pretty much looks exactly like our backyard more or less. The scenes of building stuff with scrap wood, bricks, garden beds, vegetable plantings, borders etc... it's like you sneaked in here and took pictures. Looks good! Isn't this the best time to do all this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Very similar, though I think yours is coming together much more orderly. The weather and my energy are working together this spring for sure. Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but it seems dryer and warmer than typical.

      Delete
  3. Those rocks most definitely look like potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm...potatoes. So many delicious ways to eat them. I'm hoping the rocks will clean up a bit and I can use them in the landscaping.

      Delete
  4. Yes, you are completely right about there being no rules for yard projects. It makes me sad when I meet people who say they don't have the knowledge to do any DIY landscaping...it can be done in almost complete ignorance, I swear!

    Keep it up! We're always mid-project. I'm not sure I finish anything ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much of our yard is trial and error. I'm sure I'll be fixing some things next year. And our definition of done is: we aren't working on this anymore.

      Delete
  5. That baby bell pepper is just so cute! I love how you guys let the dog babysit... great idea!! When will your daughter turn four?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the pepper cute! This is the first time I've grown them. I hope I don't jinx it like the wisteria (the buds dried up and fell off!). My daughter turns four in December, so she's a bit younger than Charlotte :)

      Delete
  6. Three year olds are WAAAAYYYY easier, as long as you don't let them drive. That opens up a whole new can of worms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing how different it is this year. She can entertain herself for a really long time. It's pretty fun to watch. She actually has a little metal, antique ride-in car that would NEVER be sold these days - too dangerous.

      Delete