On Saturday, I finished prepping the soil in the raised planters and planted the starts we had on hand. I also planted the seeds. I'll be adding a parsley start, a dill start and one more bell pepper. As the season progresses, I'll probably add/rotate other vegetables as well. I'll show pictures in a few weeks when things begin to sprout. Right now it's just dirt.
Here's the point of the post: Also on Saturday, Nate dug out sod and soil along the driveway so that we could lay brick. We've been wanting to widen the driveway a bit, because I always drive on the grass and for 8-9 months of the year it is muddy. He made great progress, and we nearly finished it on Sunday.
We started Sunday off right by enjoying brunch with some friends at The Country Cat. After stuffing ourselves full of deliciousness, we decided to work on the brick together since there was a threat of rain later in the day.
First, Nate put in a layer of gravel that we've had since we demo'd the back steps...last summer. After that, I picked bricks while Nate set them. This week we'll finish it off with some sand and see how that works - it's a little bit of an experiment. It looks better than we imagined, so this one feels like a win!
So now we have a huge pile of tarped earth that we have further plans for - the side yard and smothering the rest of the parking strip. We ended up using the bricks from the path in the backyard, so the path is now kind of a muddy mess. I'm planning to have some 1/4-10 delivered (probably next week), and I'll use that to refresh the path around the planters. And I love that wagon - so much easier than a wheelbarrow.